Energy and Water Agency in Malta is looking to recruit a Policy Officer
to join their team within the Agency's Strategy Unit on a full-time basis. The Policy Officer
may be required to work under pressure, unsupervised and may be required by the Agency’s management to work at the office during after-hours.
Duration of assignment and Conditions:
- The position of Policy Officer is on an indefinite contract basis and subject to a probationary period of 6 months.
The duties of the candidate may include inter alia:
- Coordinates and manages the development of a repository of Energy and Water Data including demand and supply by sources, time-series and projections;
- Provide technical support to the Energy and Water core teams in the development of national energy and water policy, as developed by the Energy and Water Agency. Such a process is to be supported by the formulation of econometric models to support the drafting of Energy and Water policies. In the case of energy with a particular focus on the EU’s 2030 climate and energy plan and targets;
- Provide support to the Energy and Water core teams in the assessment and interpretation of cost-benefit analysis, cost-recovery methodologies and life-cycle assessments based on the user pays, the polluter pays, and the beneficiary pays principles;
- Undertake economic and financial feasibility assessments of project proposals being developed and or supported by the Agency in the water and energy sectors;
- Provide support to the Energy Unit on the implementation of Energy legislation;
- Provide technical support to the Water Unit in the implementation of the requirements of the Water Framework Directive;
- Development of applications for the collection, storage and management of Energy and Water statistics.
- Perform work in the development of economic models for the monetization of indirect environmental, resource and social benefits arising from the implementation of actions in the water and energy sectors;
- Participate in the development of Annual Sectoral Reports;
- Undertake work with regards to the carrying out of modelling and forecasting/projections of environmental, economic and social impacts of policy options;
- Provide technical support to the Energy and Water Core Teams in their interface with sectoral regulators and utilities with specific reference to processes leading towards the development of pricing policies and cost recovery methodologies;
- Performs work as assigned directed towards ensuring that the development of policies within the Energy and Water Agency is formed on a foundation of sound research and practice, whilst operating within the boundaries of the law and statutory responsibilities;
- Prepares work in regard to or as delegated liaises with the Permanent Representation, EU Secretariat, Ministries and government entities on policy design issues related to energy, renewable energy and emerging technologies, and/or water policies;
- Performs work as assigned with regard to the undertaking of policy review and analysis on a continuous basis and subsequent contributions to policy review as a result of global, EU and national developments of changes to international agreements, EU and national strategies, directives, etc;
- As assigned participates in inter-Agency, as well as intra- and inter-Ministry policy working teams to address strategic, horizontal policy issues which may require a holistic Government approach;
- Performs work, as assigned, with regards to the organisation, coordination and facilitation of policy planning workshops and / or activities for the relevant internal personnel, as well as external stakeholders, as and when appropriate;
- Performs work, as assigned, with regards to the drafting, issuance and maintenance of documentation and / or other related systems that articulate the Energy and Water Agency’s policy positions and/or procedures to the relevant internal or external stakeholders.
- MQF Level 7 in the field of Economics, Computational Statistics or a comparable professional qualification; OR
- MQF Level 6 in the field of Economics, Computational Statistics or a comparable professional qualification; and
- Minimum Years’ Experience of 3 years in a relevant field.
Due consideration will be given to applicants who have:
Furthermore, the applicant would be expected to:
- Specific formal and/or informal training in the application of econometric modelling;
- Specific formal and/or informal training in the fields of research and data analysis;
- Knowledge of appropriate programming language for database design and management.
- Be a person who can work on his/her own initiative;
- Be able to work within and lead a team;
- Be flexible in work patterns and also working hours;
- Have excellent communication skills;
- Possesses good self-management skills;
- Be organised and meticulous in his/her work.
Qualifications at a level higher than that specified above will be accepted for eligibility purposes, provided they meet any specified subject requirements.
Prospective applicants should note the requirement to produce MQRIC recognition statements in respect to their qualifications from MQRIC, or other designated authorities, as applicable.
Submission of supporting documentation:
Qualifications and experience claimed must be supported by certificates and/or testimonials, copies of which should be attached to the application. Scanned copies sent electronically are acceptable. Original certificates and/or testimonials are to be invariably produced for verification at the interview.
Eligible applicants will be assessed by management to determine their suitability for the position.
Energy and Water Agency:
The Energy and Water Agency is a Government Agency within the Ministry for Energy and Water Management. Set up in 2014, the Agency is tasked with formulating and implementing Government’s national policies in the energy and water sectors, aimed at ensuring security, sustainability and affordability of energy and water in Malta.