Job vacancy: Senior Legal Counsel – Legal Affairs within Legal & International Affairs in Grade 5
Job code: LIR/019/2021
About Legal & International Affairs:
The Legal Affairs team provides legal advice internally across the organisation on a wide range of matters including enforcement and supervisory matters, as well as matters of an operational nature. It is also involved in the coordination and oversight of the legislative process in so far as laws administered by the MFSA are concerned. Moreover, Legal Affairs attends to any litigation matters and represents the Authority in any action or legal proceedings in which the MFSA is involved or has an interest.
As Senior Legal Counsel - Legal Affairs, you will be responsible for performing, delegating, reviewing, and/or overseeing the conduct of legal tasks as may be necessary including:
- Tendering general legal advice and guidance on issues of a legal and administrative law nature and analysis of the legal risks thereof;
- Vetting and/or drafting of agreements and other contracts as required;
- Drafting/vetting of Memoranda of Understanding to be entered into by the MFSA;
- Assisting in the assessment of information requests under MOU's as may be required;
- Review and or drafting of legislation;
- Input/assistance to the internal litigation team as may be required;
- Coordination with Ministry in preparation of upcoming legislation including any Committee Stage amendments, and coordination for translations and any other documentation as required;
- Attendance at parliamentary sittings and Parliamentary committee stage meetings as required;
- Any other duties as may be required.
*Any other duties as may be required.
How to apply or query further information:
- The role requires a University of Malta Degree in Law (LL.D or Master of Advocacy level) or a comparable recognised legal qualification at National Qualification Framework Level 6 or better duly certified by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC), together with possession of a warrant to practice in the Courts of Malta. A post-graduate degree in a discipline relevant to the financial services sector would be considered an asset;
- Candidates should be in possession of a minimum of eight (8) years of working experience within a legal or regulatory environment.
Candidates are to forward a copy of their Curriculum Vitae (C.V.) and an accompanying covering letter providing the motivation for the application.
Other Important Information:
The MFSA is an Equal Opportunities Employer as certified by the NCPE (National Commission for the Protection of Equality) and is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in all aspects of employment and will take care to avoid any form of discrimination in its recruitment procedures. The MFSA reserves the right to withdraw this call at any time and not to select any of the Candidates. It is the responsibility of applicants in possession of qualifications awarded by Universities and other similar institutions outside Malta to produce a recognition statement on the comparability of qualifications issued by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC). Applicants should do so preferably at the application stage or otherwise at the preliminary interview should an applicant be selected for such an interview. Details can be obtained by accessing the National Commission for Further and Higher Education website on www.ncfhe.gov.mt
under the MQRIC heading. The MFSA shall ensure that any processing of personal data is in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation), the Data Protection Act (Chapter 586 of the Laws of Malta), and any other relevant European Union and national law. For further details, you may refer to the Data Protection Policy on the MFSA webpage. Candidates are to note that the submission of any false statement/s or omission, even if unintended, may lead to the cancellation of their application and may render the candidate's appointment liable to termination. Furthermore, please note that candidates may be asked to submit any documentation in support of the information provided, including but not limited to, proof of qualifications and Police Conduct Certificates.
Jobsplus Permit No: 319/2021
Malta Financial Services Authority:
The Malta Financial Services Authority (MFSA) is the single regulator for financial services in Malta. It was established by law on 23 July 2002 taking over supervisory functions previously carried out by the Central Bank of Malta, the Malta Stock Exchange and the Malta Financial Services Centre. The Authority is a fully autonomous public institution and reports to Parliament on an annual basis.