Job vacancy: Senior Analyst (Legal) within Banking Supervision in Grade 6
Job code: BS/001/2021
About Banking Supervision:
The Banking Supervision Function at the MFSA is entrusted with the onsite and ongoing supervision of licensed banks and non-bank financial institutions (FIs), as well as their Authorisation. The Function also carries out supervision of Significant Credit Institutions (SIs) together with the European Central Bank through the Single Supervisory Mechanism (SSM). The Policy Section within Banking Supervision provides policy stances and legal advice, both within the MFSA and to external stakeholders, with a view to the consistent and effective application of the local legislation as well as European Regulations and Directives. The team is also tasked with the transposition and implementation of such EU legislation and guidelines issued by the European Banking Authority.
The successful candidate will join a multidisciplinary team and will be expected to provide efficient and professional legal services and contribute to the various duties that are undertaken by Banking Supervision, including the following tasks as necessary:
- Attending and participating in local and overseas training, meetings, and working groups, particularly those relating to the EBA, ECB, ESRB and BIS and other European regulatory bodies, and providing input as required;
- Representing Banking Supervision during legal proceedings at any court or tribunal as may be necessary from time to time;
- Representing Banking Supervision during Parliamentary sittings discussing legislation related to Banks and FIs and the drawing up of the necessary documents as appropriate;
- To liaise with Senior Management as required to achieve the objectives of the function, including contributing to departmental priorities outside of own area of responsibility;
- To deputize for the line manager where and as required;
- Other ad hoc related duties as may be required by Senior Management of the function from time to time and to report on the outcome of such assignments as may be appropriate and necessary.
You will also be responsible for managing and mentoring more junior lawyers within the team and contributing to a broad range of responsibilities on behalf of Banking Supervision, including, but not limited to:
- Providing, reviewing, and overseeing legal advice;
- Identifying, performing, reviewing, and overseeing legislative amendments;
- Participating, reviewing, and overseeing the development of procedures;
- Performing, reviewing, and overseeing work in the preparation of policy stances on regulatory issues.
We are looking for candidates with a solid academic background in Law. The role requires a University of Malta Degree in Law (LL.D or Master of Advocacy) or a comparable recognized legal qualification at National Qualification Framework Level 6 or better, duly certified by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC), together with possession of a warrant to practice in the Courts of Malta. Possession of a post-graduate degree in a discipline relevant to the financial services sector would be considered an asset. You will also possess a minimum of five (5) years working in the area of financial services, with solid experience in banking and/or financial services legislation and legal area.
How to apply or query further information:
Candidates are to forward a copy of their Curriculum Vitae (C.V.) and an accompanying covering letter providing the motivation for the application.
Other Important Information:
The MFSA is an Equal Opportunities Employer as certified by the NCPE (National Commission for the Protection of Equality) and is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in all aspects of employment and will take care to avoid any form of discrimination in its recruitment procedures. The MFSA reserves the right to withdraw this call at any time and not to select any of the Candidates. It is the responsibility of applicants in possession of qualifications awarded by Universities and other similar institutions outside Malta to produce a recognition statement on the comparability of qualifications issued by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC). Applicants should do so preferably at the application stage or otherwise at the preliminary interview should an applicant be selected for such an interview. Details can be obtained by accessing the National Commission for Further and Higher Education website on www.ncfhe.gov.mt
under the MQRIC heading. The MFSA shall ensure that any processing of personal data is in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation), the Data Protection Act (Chapter 586 of the Laws of Malta), and any other relevant European Union and national law. For further details, you may refer to the Data Protection Policy on the MFSA webpage. Candidates are to note that the submission of any false statement/s or omission, even if unintended, may lead to the cancellation of their application and may render the candidate's appointment liable to termination. Furthermore, please note that candidates may be asked to submit any documentation in support of the information provided, including but not limited to, proof of qualifications and Police Conduct Certificates.
Public Call Permit: 163/2021
Malta Financial Services Authority:
The Malta Financial Services Authority (MFSA) is the single regulator for financial services in Malta. It was established by law on 23 July 2002 taking over supervisory functions previously carried out by the Central Bank of Malta, the Malta Stock Exchange and the Malta Financial Services Centre. The Authority is a fully autonomous public institution and reports to Parliament on an annual basis.