British High Commission in Malta is looking to recruit a Political Officer (Global & Economic Issues (MLT21.211))
to join their team on a full-time basis.
Foreign, Commonwealth, and Development Office (Policy & Political roles):
Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimize any disruption. The British High Commission in Malta is part of a worldwide network, representing British political, economic, and consular interests overseas and is seeking for a Political Officer - Global & Economic Issues to work within the Political Team. The job holder will be an integral member of the political team overseeing a range of global issues including environmental, economic, and trade activity, as well as inward and outward visits. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with experience of employment in government, business, or politics and with a keen interest in current affairs and international relations. The job holder will report to the Foreign Policy and Global issues Officer and work closely with colleagues across the High Commission, and UK Government departments in London to deliver UK objectives.
To support partners across High Commission to deliver relevant objectives in the Cross-HMG Country Business Plan for Malta, with particular emphasis on:
Essential qualifications, skills, and experience:
- Leading UK-Malta commercial and trade policy, build and maintain a network of business contacts to strengthen trade links post EU Exit;
- Analysis of and reporting on the economy;
- Supporting UK Climate Change and environmental ambitions ahead of COP26 with regular reporting to London;
- Managing visits, protocol matters, and overseeing High Commission some program funding. The job holder will be expected to regularly engage with relevant stakeholders and prepare both oral and written reports for High Commission and London-based audiences with readers from across UK Government. They will also be expected to support wider Political Team performance, corporate activity and contribute to Team resilience.
Desirable qualifications, skills, and experience:
- Fluency in English (both oral and written, minimum C1 level*);
- Self-starter with the ability to work well in a team and independently;
- Excellent written communication skills;
- Strong organisational and IT skills;
- Ability to build relationships with key contacts, including at senior levels;
- Problem-solving skills and work under pressure.
- Fluency in Maltese (both oral and written, minimum C1 level*);
- Previous experience of work in Government, Journalism, Embassy, or International Organisations.
Seeing the Big Picture, Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering at Pace
Other benefits and conditions of employment:
- Application deadline - 27 June 2021
- Grade - B3 (L)
- Type of Position - Full-time, Fixed term, with the possibility of renewal
- Working hours per week - 35
- Starting monthly salary - €2181.74 gross
- Start Date - 2 August 2021
This is a full-time of 35 hours/week, 12 months renewable contract.
*The successful candidate will be subject to confirmation of a background check and security clearance. All applicants should have the right to live and work in Malta. The British High Commission does not sponsor work permits. Staff recruited locally by the British High Commission in Malta are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Maltese employment law.
Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Malta and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract. The successful candidate will be subject to professional background and security clearance.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered. Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen. Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when traveling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
* Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment
indicates Level C2 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read; can summarize information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation; can express themselves spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations. For more information please click on the following link CEFR
. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your language skills are going to be assessed.
Additional Information (due to Covid 19):
- You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
- Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
- Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed upon with the selected candidate.
*Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Local Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net
site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third-party websites, however, our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net
site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.
British High Commission:
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.