Job vacancy: Technical Expert (Forex) within Conduct Supervision in Grade 6
Job code: CS/001/2021
About Conduct Supervision:
Conduct Supervision oversees the way in which regulated entities design their products and services as well as the way in which they manage their relationship with consumers. By setting up a regulatory framework that secures appropriate customer protection, the Function ensures that clients of financial services are treated fairly, honestly, and professionally by regulated entities. The main tasks of the Investments Supervision team are to supervise Investment Firms to ensure that they act professionally, honestly, and in accordance with the best interest of the client. When joining this team you will be actively participating in onsite inspections with experienced team members, where you will be exposed to different business models as well as varying conduct-related subjects. Furthermore, you will also conduct offsite supervisory checks as required from time to time depending on the necessities of the team.
Within this role, you will be joining the Investment Firms team within Conduct Supervision which has the primary responsibility of conducting onsite inspections of investment firms with a view to assessing their adherence to the applicable Conduct of Business rules, transposing the MiFID II framework.
You will be involved in a number of tasks, including:
- Acting as a front line supervisor and technical point of reference to the Investment Firms Team in so far as Online Forex Trading, Contracts for Differences (CFDs), and similar online business models are concerned and the application of the relevant regulatory requirements as detailed in the Conduct of Business Rulebook and related ESMA literature;
- Provide insight on the operational technicalities of the corresponding online platforms vis-à-vis the application of regulatory requirements;
- Lead and/or participate and/or support thematic reviews (including on-site inspections) undertaken by the team;
- Drive and support cases involving problematic Investment Firms from an offsite monitoring perspective and liaise with other Functions/sub-teams in raising recommendations, primarily to safeguard the interests of underlying investors;
- Contribute or lead policy related projects using technical knowledge and experience as well as project management skills;
- Communicate and liaise with license holders, national and foreign regulators as well as representing the Function in meetings as necessary;
- Undertake any other work or projects as delegated by senior management.
We are looking for a person with a University degree in Finance/ Economics/ Mathematics or a related field and with a solid background in financial services. You will need to have academic qualification/s in the relevant field of study at National Qualification Framework Level 6 or better, duly certified by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC) or a widely recognised professional qualification at a comparable level.
How to apply or query further information:
- Previous experience in Online Forex/CFDs platforms and Online platforms is a must;
- Excellent analytical skills and proficient in the use of Microsoft Excel;
- Experience in reading and interpreting the Maltese regulatory framework and legislation applicable to investment firms;
- Ability to analyse supervisory problems and interpret the regulation in relation to supervisory issues and raise well-grounded recommendations based on sound judgment;
- Relationship management skills with the ability to engage with MFSA`s stakeholders in a sound and credible manner;
- Strong report writing, communication, and reviewing skills;
- Strong team player with the ability to adjust seamlessly to changing priorities.
Candidates are to forward a copy of their Curriculum Vitae (C.V.) and an accompanying covering letter providing the motivation for the application.
Other Important Information:
The MFSA is an Equal Opportunities Employer as certified by the NCPE (National Commission for the Protection of Equality) and is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in all aspects of employment and will take care to avoid any form of discrimination in its recruitment procedures. The MFSA reserves the right to withdraw this call at any time and not to select any of the Candidates. It is the responsibility of applicants in possession of qualifications awarded by Universities and other similar institutions outside Malta to produce a recognition statement on the comparability of qualifications issued by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC). Applicants should do so preferably at the application stage or otherwise at the preliminary interview should an applicant be selected for such an interview. Details can be obtained by accessing the National Commission for Further and Higher Education website on www.ncfhe.gov.mt
under the MQRIC heading. The MFSA shall ensure that any processing of personal data is in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation), the Data Protection Act (Chapter 586 of the Laws of Malta), and any other relevant European Union and national law. For further details, you may refer to the Data Protection Policy on the MFSA webpage. Candidates are to note that the submission of any false statement/s or omission, even if unintended, may lead to the cancellation of their application and may render the candidate's appointment liable to termination. Furthermore, please note that candidates may be asked to submit any documentation in support of the information provided, including but not limited to, proof of qualifications and Police Conduct Certificates.
Public Call Permit: 197/2021
Malta Financial Services Authority:
The Malta Financial Services Authority (MFSA) is the single regulator for financial services in Malta. It was established by law on 23 July 2002 taking over supervisory functions previously carried out by the Central Bank of Malta, the Malta Stock Exchange, and the Malta Financial Services Centre. The Authority is a fully autonomous public institution and reports to Parliament on an annual basis.