Environment Resources Authority is currently looking to recruit an Assistant Environment Protection Officer.
Job details: The officer shall be responsible for the functions and deliverables under the area of responsibility in either the Environment & Resources Directorate or the Regulatory Affairs in line with the aims and objectives of the Authority including related data management, permitting process, reporting, and obligations whilst contributing to the overall aim of environment protection, conservation, management and improvement.
• Perform duties within the provisions of the Environmental Resources Authority (ERA) Act, subsidiary and/or related legislation, and that all operations and activities comply with the relevant legal instruments;
• Contribute to the objectives of the Authority by effectively planning, organising, leading and controlling the assigned responsibilities;
• Assist in the preparation, interpretation, development and auditing of environmental policy instruments and related data management and reporting aspects;
• Assist and participate in the effective delivery, day to day management and coordination of environmental permitting processes, and promote better integration of environmental considerations and decision making through relevant environmental permitting tools;
• Develop capability in relation to the analysis of environmental data for the purposes for the generating and auditing environmental instruments, analyzing relevant policy documents and proposal and provide technical guidance to other Directorates as required;
• Assist in the development and application of tools and mechanisms for effective environmental policy data, management and reporting, including GIS-based systems for analysis of relevant environmental issues and other required regulatory outputs;
• Establish, maintain and manage sound information and data management systems, practices and records, with the aim to provide easy access to data and information to be employed by the Authority’s functions;
• Provide technical assistance to data capturing tools, environmental monitoring equipment and keep abreast with developments in this sector;
• Produce, plot and/or digitize geodata contributing to the setting up of GIS-based system incorporating the main relevant aspects required for the appropriate implementation of a coherent data management system in line with the environmental policy, allowing for relevant analyses, assessments and reporting;
• Assess reporting templates and enquiries, determine data, information and knowledge requirements and liaise with relevant internal or external parties, where applicable, and through appropriate channels, to gather such requirements;
• Apply technical knowledge, skills and professional judgement; and act as a tea player with other staff and across teams, in order to attain effective environmental permitting;
• Assist in the Management and development of reports aimed as assessing the status of the environment, the appropriate implementation of environmental policy, abiding with reporting obligations, deadlines and commitments, and to assist in the continuous development and auditing of environmental policy in liaison with other Authority employees and relevant competent authorities and third parties, as required;
• Ensure appropriate follow-up, screening, monitoring and auditing of national and international policy for its impact on relevant matters pertinent to policy developed by or relevant to the Authority functions, and advise on implications and need for revisions, where applicable;
• Research, review and advise on emerging environmental issues, policies, procedures, legislation, Conventions, Protocols and EU documents, related to environmental permitting processes as may be required; and to contribute to the drafting of recommendations and positions on such matters: Contribute to the development of guidance documents, plans, policies and programmes relevant to the environmental permit issues, and ensure that they are kept updated and relevant whilst ensuring conformity with established standards and practices; and
• Provide advice, develop and coordinate the implementation of appropriate mechanisms, procedures and practices for the development, monitoring assessment, quality control and auditing of policy developed by or relevant to the Authority’s functions and related measures in liaison with other employees and Directorates and relevant competent authorities and third parties.
Job entry requirements:
1. Qualifications: A minimum Bachelors Degree (MQF Level 6) with a minimum total of 180 ECTS credits in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Acoustics, Geography, Geology & Geomorphology, Hydrography & Oceanography, Earth Systems, environmental Conservation, Planning & Management, ICT & GIS, Administration & Project Management, Architecture & Civil Engineer, Engineering, Maths, or comparable qualification as recognized by MFHEA; or
Alternatively in case of no first Degree, a Masters Degree (MQF Level 7) with a minimum total of 90 ECTS credits in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Acoustics, Geography, Geology & Geomorphology, Hydrography & Oceanography, Earth Systems, environmental Conservation, Planning & Management, ICT & GIS, Administration & Project Management, Architecture & Civil Engineer, Engineering, Maths or comparable qualification as recognized by MFHEA.
2. Skills and Attributes: Interpersonal, Assertiveness, Communication, Methodologic, Reliability and Trustworthiness, Integrity, Collaborative attitude and a Team Player.
Kindly quote Jobs plus Permit No: 143/2024
To apply: Interested candidates are advised to submit their application, together with a detailed curriculum vitae and a copy of their qualifications by noon of Friday, 23rd February, 2024 (CET); via https://era.org.mt/careers/