Job vacancy: Cable Networks Engineer
We have a vision of ensuring the stability and integrity of Melita’s growing Core cable network platform (CMTS). If the planning, designing, and implementation of tasks towards a vision is a concept that motivates you, then this role is for you.
Other activities related to this role include installation, monitoring, maintenance, support, and optimisation of the core cable network and validation of the new features within Melita’s various cable modem makes. The individual is also required to analyse and resolve network related issues in a timely and accurate manner whilst providing training to the Network Operations Centre and peers when necessary.
Qualifications and desired attributes:
- Design, maintain, upgrade and troubleshoot Melita’s Cable networks, verify the interoperability of the core elements with Melita’s various cable modem makes;
- Be a reference point and perform follow-ups for incidents handled by the Network Operations Centre;
- Build and update procedures for the Network Operations Centre team and deliver training when necessary;
- Conduct research and make recommendations on network products, services, protocols, and standards in support of network procurement and development efforts;
- Test network performance and provide network performance statistics and reports; develop strategies for maintaining network infrastructure;
- Monitor network performance and troubleshoot problem areas as needed. Have the ability to pre-empt potential issues as well as exploit opportunities for improvement;
- Liaise with third party suppliers to get required support on new features/issues within the CMTS;
- Provide 3rd level support to customer issues (both CMTS and cable modem related);
- Offer availability during out-of-office hours in an on-call rotation system;
- Identify options towards resolving upcoming issues/improvement to the platform and liaise with Senior/Manager to identify the best option;
- Be aware of emerging Docsis technologies and their relevance towards expansion and improving resilience in Melita’s implementation.
Melita is a diversified and advanced quadruple-play cable operator offering converged telecommunications services. Melita offers IP based digital cable TV, broadband Internet, fixed-line telephony, and mobile voice and data services. It also owns and operates an undersea submarine optical fiber cable; a co-location data centre built to Tier 3 specifications as well as a next-generation Wi-Fi service across the Maltese islands. Melita’s successful development since its launch in 1992 is evidenced by the presence of at least one of its services in 75% of all households in Malta.
- Degree in Computer Science/Networking related subject is preferable;
- Certifications in Networking (CCNA, CCNP) are ideal;
- Ability to document troubleshooting steps and new platforms configurations;
- Strong communication skills, a positive attitude and a high level of ownership are expected;
- Fresh graduates are encouraged to apply.