Solana Hotel and Spa in Malta is looking to recruit a Sous Chef
to join their team on a full-time basis and with an immediate start. Reporting to the Head Chef/Executive Chef, this position's primary responsibility is that of ensuring day to day main kitchen/a la carte operations are catered for effectively, including also the full planning ahead to maintain an offering that is innovative and competitive.
The position also incorporates the responsibility of ensuring that the overall offering is at par with the organizational standards, together with the leadership of Commis Chefs, Chefs De Partie, Junior Sous Chefs and Kitchen Aids in the absence of the Head Chef/Executive Chef.
The Sous Chef
is responsible for the daily activities of the section including menu development for the various functions of the hotel group, inventory of supplies, and cost control. The Senior Sous Chef – A La Carte/Main Kitchen is also responsible for the production of high-quality meals and services within the required deadlines and to the diners’ satisfaction, together with the full supervision of the shift in question, planning also ahead for forthcoming operations. Additionally, the individual is fully responsible to maintain innovation and a competitive edge within the section assigned to him.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Assists the Executive Chef/Head Chef in managing the section operations within budgeted guidelines and to the highest of standards, coordinating full leadership and training to the brigade;
- Preserves excellent levels of internal and external levels of communication, while identifying both hotels’ and customers’ needs, responding proactively to their requirements;
- Provides a two-way communication and nurture an ownership environment with an emphasis on motivation and teamwork;
- Works closely with the Executive Chef/Head Chef to ensure correct stock levels are maintained within the section buffer stores to operate effectively, assisting in report analysis on stock and sales while highlighting and acting upon any anomalies;
- Required to operate within efficient labour budgets, maintaining full flexibility at all times, with the intent of meeting demand and fore planning effectively;
- Reviews on a regular basis the product range to ensure that all key quality standards are maintained is also conversant with the latest trends in food nutrition;
- Assists in the planning and implementation of new ideas and menu specifications each season, including those related to banqueting and special events, working closely with the Executive Chef/Head Chef, ensuring the same fit within the budget guidelines and are within quality standards established;
- Represents the department on Special Events or as required by the organisational exigencies;
- In tandem with the Executive Chef/Head Chef, manages Health & Safety and Food Hygiene, ensuring that strict compliance with the legislation is maintained;
- Actions reports received through the external HACCP consultant and other similar auditors;
- Maintains a confident and mature approach, while practising tact and diplomacy;
- Performs other related duties, tasks and responsibilities as determined by both the line manager and organisational needs, while providing an environment of openness and trust, with constant feedback and performance coaching.
The Remuneration offered will be negotiated according to the individual’s level of experience within such a position, however, will range in between €18,200 and €20,000.
Solana Hotel and Spa:
The newly rebranded and refurbished Solana Hotel & Spa is a quality renowned 4-star Hotel situated in the northern part of the island of Malta. The property is run by the G3 Group.