AX Seashells Resort at Suncrest in Malta is looking to recruit a Sous Chef to join their team on a full-time basis.
To provide an efficient, high-quality and cost-effective food service, including all food production in the hotel, functions and other outlets, budgets, menu development, purchasing, hygiene standards and staff supervision.
- Reports directly to the Executive Chef.
- Provides functional assistance and direction to the kitchen operation as assigned.
- Interacts with individuals outside the hotel including, but not limited to clients, suppliers, government officials, competitors and other members of the local community.
- Coordinates functions and activities with the Food and Beverage department and Events department.
- Assists the Executive Chef in supervising the functioning of the overall kitchen employees, facilities, and costs to ensure the maximum Food and Beverage departmental profit is achieved.
- Assists the Executive Chef in controlling and analysing:
- Quality levels of production and presentation including the staff canteen.
- Guest satisfaction.
- Merchandising and marketing.
- Payroll and food costs.
- Cleanliness, sanitation and hygiene.
- Ensures optimum performance of all the above areas.
- Assists the Executive Chef in the production, preparation and presentation of all food items to ensure the highest quality at all times.
- Establishes and maintains effective employee relations and interdepartmental working relationships.
- Conducts under the guidance of the Executive Head Chef, such functions as interviewing, hiring, performance appraisal, coaching, counselling, and suspension if necessary to ensure appropriate staffing and productivity. Consults with the HR Manager, as appropriate, in performing the above duties.
- Develops formal training plans and conducts on the job training sessions for kitchen employees.
- Is responsible for the preparation of menus and participates in the pricing policy in consultation with the Executive Chef by taking into consideration the following:
- Local requirements
- Market needs
- Potential costs
- Availability of Food and Beverage products
- Merchandising and promotion.
- Assists in liaising with the Purchasing Officer in determining the minimum food par stocks. Ensures the completion of the market list in accordance with quality and quantity standards.
- Inspects all perishable food items received for quality.
- Assists in keeping an up to date standard recipe file for all food items, to include:
- Sales history.
- Sales mix.
- Actual cost.
- Potential costs.
- Par stock.
- Production time.
- Comply with Company Grooming Standards.
- Comply with Time and Attendance Policies.
- Actively participate in training and development programs and maximize opportunities for self-development.
- Demonstrate service attributes in accordance with industry expectations and company standards including:
- Being attentive to Guests.
- Accurately and promptly fulfilling Guests requests.
- Anticipate guests needs.
- Maintain a high level of knowledge which affects the Guest experience.
- Demonstrating a ‘service’ attitude.
- Taking appropriate action to resolve guest complaints.
- Demonstrate understanding and awareness of all policies and procedures relating to Health, Hygiene and Fire Safety
- Familiarize yourself with emergency and evacuation procedures.
- Ensure all security incidents, accidents are always logged in a timely manner and brought to the attention of the Executive Chef.
- Be aware of the hotel's conservation of energy-saving policies.
- Co-operates with the team and members of management and be supportive and loyal to the company.
- Meets any other request given by the Executive Chef or General Manager/Assistant General Manager.
- A good standard of education.
- Fluency in English.
- Previous working experience in this field.
- Able to work on his/her own initiative and take decisions when not supervised.
- Willing to work flexible hours including weekend.
AX Seashells Resort at Suncrest:
Our hotel Seashells Resort at Suncrest has been a leading 4-star hotel on the Maltese Islands since its very first days and has kept its tradition of hospitality within the AX group throughout the years. We decided that it was time to give the Qawra hotel a face-lift so during the winter months the hotel underwent an extensive renovation programme. Its doors re-opened again on the 1st of April 2015. The new face of the Seashells Resort at Suncrest, your number one resort for the individual, corporate and family travel.