Hammett’s Macina Restaurant in Malta is looking for an organised and an experienced Sous Chef
to join their fine dining restaurant in Senglea on a full-time basis. The ideal candidate will be responsible for creative first-class food to an esteemed clientele.
Famed for its unique dining concepts, the restaurant is renowned for its excellence in quality cuisine and kitchen brigade. The restaurant serves Modern Mediterranean fusion cuisine, has an extensive fine wine list and is located within a luxury boutique hotel hosting spectacular views of Birgu City and the Grand Harbour.
- Leads kitchen team in Head Chef’s absence;
- Provides guidance to junior kitchen staff members, including, but not limited, to line cooking, food preparation, and dish plating;
- Oversees and organizes kitchen stock and ingredients;
- Ensures a first-in, first-out food rotation system and verifies all food products are properly dated and organized for quality assurance;
- Keeps cooking stations stocked, especially before and during prime operation hours;
- Hires and trains new kitchen employees to restaurant and kitchen standards;
- Manages food and product ordering by keeping detailed records and minimises waste, plus works with existing systems to improve waste reduction and manage budgetary concerns;
- Supervises all food preparation and presentation to ensure quality and restaurant standards;
- Works with the head chef to maintain kitchen organization, staff ability, and training opportunities;
- Verifies that food storage units all meet standards and are consistently well- managed;
- Assists head chef with menu creation;
- Coordinates with the restaurant management team on supply orders, budget, and kitchen efficiency and staffing.
Hammett's Macina Restaurant:
Unimaginable history seeps from the Macina’s ancient walls. Built almost half a millennium ago by the Knights of Saint John, the Macina has been a landmark for centuries, now hosting Hammett’s Macina Restaurant. Drawing on this history, the gastronomical concept is a take on the islands’ succession of powers with a modern representation of traditional Mediterranean culinary influences that date back to the Phoenician times. Like the Maltese language itself, the menu is a taste of history derived from the island’s Mediterranean-Semitic roots, with a contemporary twist, created using only the finest local, seasonal produce. The menu is constructed by a multi-award winning team, previously of the Villa Brasserie in St. Julian’s, led by talented Chef de Cuisine Andrea Marchetti, and directed by 21-time award-winning Chef and restauranteur Chris Hammett.
- Formal culinary training;
- At least 3+ years proven experience in a same and/or similar role;
- Extensive food and beverage knowledge;
- Restaurant industry knowledge and knowledge of restaurant regulations;
- Strong organizational skills and strict attention to detail;
- Superior leadership qualities and managerial abilities;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Self-motivated and creative problem-solving skills;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Exceptional customer service skills.