Attard Bros Group in Malta is looking to recruit a Health and Safety Officer
to join their team on a full-time basis.
The Health and Safety Officer
consults the Attard Bros Contracting and implements and maintains a safety, health management system. Administers safety and health programs for the Attard Bros Contracting. Inspects and evaluates the site, equipment, and processes in working areas to ensure compliance with government safety regulations and industry standards. Establishes and maintains safety contingency plans, keeps up to date with newly issued legislation and supports Attard Bros Contracting in having all necessary permits.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
- To develop and monitor occupational health and safety policy, programs, and procedures;
- Assist the company in complying with current health and safety legislation and/or regulations with the objective of ensuring that all reasonable and proper measures are taken to protect the safety and health of workers;
- Increase health and safety awareness at all levels within the organization;
- Investigate and report on all serious/critical personal injury accidents occurring to the appropriate senior management, and to assist in the investigation of all accidents/incidents that result in substantial damage;
- Investigate and report on complaints of hazardous working conditions to Head of Projects and/or Head of HR;
- Conduct, as necessary, the safety inspections;
- Develop, review, and update the Emergency Procedures Manual;
- To coordinate with HR the training of personnel in areas of safety, including first aid, CPR, accident prevention and investigation, workplace inspections and other matters related to implementing safety procedures;
- Respond to fires, first aids and other emergencies on the construction sites;
- Compile a monthly report indicating the statistics, trends, safety management inspections, regulatory actions to be taken and risk assessment activities to be done;
- Monitoring activities such as signal installation, service, and recharge of fire extinguishers, maintenance of first aid boxes, inspection, and certification of equipment and machinery on construction sites;
- Make proposals for continuous improvement to mitigate unsafe working conditions.
Education and Licenses Required:
- This role involves working mainly on Attard Bros Construction sites and carrying out random inspections;
- Work is on a full-time basis, from Monday to Friday. The job might involve evenings and weekend work in cases of spot checks, serious incidents, accidents or emergencies.
Knowledge/Skills/Qualities/Total and Equipment used in this position:
- To be in possession of a qualification at MQF Level 5 or higher such as Bachelor in Occupational Health and Safety;
- A clean Police Conduct Certificate;
- A valid driving license;
- On-the-job training is acquired on the Plant.
Attard Bro Group:
- Knowledge of relevant government rules, regulations, law and legislation related to one’s field of work;
- Knowledge of how to develop hygiene and safety programs;
- Knowledge of when to investigate cases and activities;
- Knowledge of procedures involved in issuing permits and/or licenses (where applicable);
- The ability to prepare the required paperwork such as reports and procedural documents;
- An understanding of expected levels of quality assurance;
- Research skills including the ability to collate and analyze data and statistics;
- Investigative and interpersonal skills, Persuasion and negotiation skills;
- Written and verbal communication skills in Maltese and/or English;
- IT skills, organizational and planning skills;
- Analytical, problem solving and decision/time-making skills;
- The ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines, work independently and as part of a team;
- A calm attitude and attention to detail;
- A methodical approach, accurate, alertness and assertiveness;
- Disciplined, Firm and Tact.
Established in 1977, Attard Bros. Group (ABG) is a General Civil Engineering and Building Contractor. The Group employs over 270 workers and turnover exceeds €23 million. ABG operates from its industrial complex at Ta’ Qali where its administrative offices, technical offices, stores, and production plants are located. It has 45,000 square meters of factory space. The Group consists of five registered subsidiaries; Attard Bluemix Ltd, Attard Concrete Systems Ltd, Cementstone Manufacturing Co. Ltd, Eurocraft Ltd, and Attard Developments Ltd.