Job Vacancy: Head of Strategy and Policy within the Strategy, Policy and Innovation Directorate.
About Strategy and Policy:
The Strategy and Policy function (the Function), set up within the Strategy, Policy and Innovation Directorate, is tasked with providing the MFSA with thorough advice and analyses on current and prospective strategies and policies. This is a new function within the MFSA’s organisational structure. This Function will therefore work on, provide advice and analyses in relation to the overall objectives and the available options as well as how these may be achieved. It will identify ways and means to implement these strategic objectives in practice, and this with respect to the key priority areas as identified by the Chief Officer - Strategy, Policy and Innovation.
The appointed Head of Strategy and Policy will be responsible for the following duties:
- Set up and formulate the Strategy and Policy function;
- Develop the MFSA’s strategy and propose key priority areas (including in the field of technology) which may be tapped into by the MFSA, how these should be developed going forward, taking stock of the required operational changes to ensure due implementation;
- Undertake regular long-term strategic reviews relative to the identified MFSA strategy and policy;
- Ensure that the MFSA is pro-active to new opportunities, perceived risks, international standards and the changing circumstances that might impact the financial services sector generally;
- Liaise with the various Directorates and Functions of the Authority in order to promote and coordinate strategic thinking MFSA wide;
- Develop constructive relations with the financial services industry and institutions, and where necessary create forums for the exchange of views and policy consultation;
- Participate in local, EU, local and international fora, including the relevant committees of the European Supervisory Authorities, which may impinge on the Authority’s strategies and policies;
- Manage the Function’s teams ensuring the appropriate distribution of work tasks and the achievement of the set KPIs for the individuals and for the team;
- Lead, guide, mentor and support managerial staff, analysts and support staff within the Function;
- Assist staff with developing their supervisory analytical skills and ability to deal with issues relating to the affairs of the Function;
- Participate in recruitment, staff training, and performance appraisal processes;
- Prepare budgets for the Function;
- Maintain policies and procedures relating to the Function;
- Handle any other duties as assigned by the Chief Officer - Strategy, Policy and Innovation depending on the Authority’s exigencies.
Soft Skills Required:
- We are looking for candidates with solid academic qualifications in financial services, accountancy, law, or related academia;
- The role calls for an academic qualification in a relevant field of study at National Qualification Framework Level 6 or better, duly certified by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC) or a widely recognised professional qualification at a comparable level;
- You will also possess a minimum of 8 years working in a senior role. Solid work experience relevant to the role will be considered an asset. If you do not have the necessary academic or professional qualifications but you have at least 14 years of relevant work experience, we would still be interested in speaking with you;
- Candidates will also be required to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of regulatory requirements applicable to the financial sector, with a proven level of managerial skills and the personality required to lead and manage direct reports.
Other important information:
- Thinks strategically;
- Ability to multi-task and to meet strict deadlines;
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills;
- Good leadership and managerial skills;
- Ability to listen actively and to work on one’s initiative;
- A high degree of self-confidence;
- High level of negotiation skills;
- Assertive and authoritative qualities.
The MFSA is an Equal Opportunities Employer as certified by the NCPE (National Commission for the Protection of Equality) and is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in all aspects of employment and will take care to avoid any form of discrimination in its recruitment procedures. The MFSA reserves the right to withdraw this call at any time and not to select any of the Candidates. It is the responsibility of applicants in possession of qualifications awarded by Universities and other similar institutions outside Malta to produce a recognition statement on comparability of qualifications issued by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC). Applicants should do so preferably at application stage or otherwise at the preliminary interview should an applicant be selected for such interview. Details can be obtained by accessing the National Commission for Further and Higher Education website on www.ncfhe.org.mt under MQRIC heading. The MFSA shall ensure that any processing of personal data is in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation), the Data Protection Act (Chapter 586 of the Laws of Malta) and any other relevant European Union and national law. For further details, you may refer to the Data Protection Policy on the MFSA webpage www.mfsa.com.mt. Candidates are to note that the submission of any false statement/s or omission, even if unintended, may lead to the cancellation of their application and may render the candidate’s appointment liable to termination.
Furthermore, please note that candidates may be asked to submit any documentation in support of the information provided, including but not limited to, proof of qualifications and Police Conduct Certificates.