BigMat in Malta is currently looking to recruit a Financial Controller
to join their team on a full-time basis.
This position within the Retail Unit involves direct management of the units’ Treasury needs, preparation of Management Accounts, Budgets, computations, and overall running of the units' Finance Department.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
Educations and Licenses Required:
- Manage the company’s financial accounting, reporting, and monitoring systems;
- Collate, prepare and interpret reports, budgets and accounts;
- Prepare the monthly management accounts of the company for presentation to management in line with specific deadlines;
- Responsible for the unit liquidity and cashflow including the collection of funds and payments;
- To forecast the units’ cash flow positions, related borrowing needs, and funds available for investment;
- Overseeing all processes affecting the finances of the company to ensure the proper internal controls and to make the process more efficient;
- Participate in the formulation of strategic and long-term business plans;
- Analyse change and advise management on the best way forward considering ongoing developments;
- Reviewing, updating, and implementing existing internal control procedures and introducing new controls when appropriate;
- Maintaining and monitoring stock levels, ensuring that the company has adequate procedures and processes in places to ensure the appropriate stock levels and to impede stock damages, errors, and theft;
- Develop financial management tools to minimize financial risk for the company;
- Oversee the selection, training, and performance of staff;
- Liaise with the external auditors of the company to ensure that appropriate annual monitoring is carried out;
- Keep abreast of relevant changes in international accounting standards, best practices, and applicable regulations.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications, Tools, and Equipment used in this position:
- Previous experience in project related finance (IFRS [International Financial Reporting Standards] reporting, Management Accounting, Budgeting, and Treasury Management) is required in order to fulfill this position.
- Previous experience in the retail industry would be considered an asset.
- The ideal candidate must be fully ACCA (Association of Chartered Certified Accountants) qualified or have a similar qualification.
An understanding of the industry the organisation is operating in:
Physical Requirements/Work Conditions:
- Knowledge of financial reporting and accounting standards and regulations;
- Proficiency in Mathematics;
- The ability to clearly and coherently explain financial information to clients or management;
- Personnel management skills;
- Negotiation skills;
- Leadership skills;
- The ability to manage conflict;
- Interpersonal skills;
- Strong written communication skills in English;
- IT skills;
- Organisational and planning skills;
- Problem-solving and decision-making skills;
- Time management skills;
- The ability to work under pressure and adhere to tight deadlines;
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- • A high level of drive and ambition;
- A methodical and meticulous approach;
- A sense of initiative;
- A solution-oriented approach;
- An ability to see the bigger picture;
- Attention to detail;
- Business acumen;
- Critical thinking skills;
Big Mat Malta is the latest outlet to be opened as part of the first international chain of independent traders for construction materials. Created by the heads of companies close to their professional clients in 1981, BigMat has since shared the same values of being anchored locally and having a human dimension as the strength behind building SMEs. BigMat offers construction professionals and large-scale DIYers a range of high-quality building materials for new builds and refurbishment, acting as the main link in the professional ladder between the manufacturer and the end client. With over 820 sales outlets in Europe and a desire to grow sustainably in several countries, BigMat represents an unstoppable force in the construction materials market. It was founded in 1981 and up to 2013 had reached 415 members with 831 outlets in countries including Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Czech Republic, Belgium, Slovakia and now, Malta. In Malta BigMat, owned and operated by Attard Bros Group is taking its product offering to new levels and extending its portfolio to meet the needs of the Maltese household owner who wants to enjoy the satisfaction of doing things at home himself with the right equipment and materials.
- Work normally in an office environment;
- Working hours are usually up to 40 hours a week but being a managerial position, hours can vary according to company needs and more hours are normally expected in such a role.