Job vacancy: Senior Manager within Risk Management
Job code: RM/006/19
About Risk Management:
The MFSA recognises that risks are associated with achieving our value-based objectives. The management and mitigation of these risks is an essential part of the Risk Management function's activities. The main aim of this team is to provide reasonable assurance that the risks associated with achieving the strategic objectives are understood and addressed at all levels within the organisation.
This is achieved by ensuring that at all times:
- Risks are properly identified, assessed, managed and reported;
- Risk ownership is taken and communicated;
- Resources are effectively and efficiently allocated to manage risks;
- Risks that could significantly affect our employees, the Authority, and our stakeholders including Licensees or the general public are suitably managed;
- The Authority is compliant with regulatory and legal requirements.
Within this role, you will be accountable for managing the delivery of Risk Management's programmes and services in support of the MFSA’s overall risk management strategies to mitigate risks and ensure that the Authority cost-effectively and efficiently fulfils its statutory, directive and enterprise policy-mandated responsibilities and discharges its regulatory and supervisory duties.
As Senior Manager within Risk Management you will have the following responsibilities:
- Managing and overseeing the planning, development, implementation and execution of Risk Management programmes and services throughout the MFSA to implement effective risk identification, mitigation, management and reporting across the Authority;
- Ensuring consistency with overall section or department performance measures, standards and best practices and integration with overall MFSA directions;
- Providing expertise and advice to MFSA management and staff on their respective risk management frameworks, processes, controls and tools and for overseeing risk-based targeted reviews of programme, framework, process, reporting and control effectiveness and for conducting related assessments;
- Providing advice and guidance in response to issues impacting the achievement of department directions as well as providing evidence-based recommendations for problem resolution and improvement to methods to deliver programs or services;
- As part of the management team, support MFSA leadership in formulating strategies and developing tactics while providing leadership in the execution of programmes and services to deliver on strategy and tactics;
- Ensuring a sustainable, transparent, effective and fluid risk management process, while considering the overall operational plans and priorities of the department;
- Where necessary, managing the unit and its staff to promote a culture of service excellence which respects diversity, encourages teamwork and contributes to a healthy, rewarding and productive working environment;
- Being involved in the hiring, training and continued coaching of staff, conducting performance reviews and managing any performance and employee-related matters;
- Supporting critical change and a new collaborative, forward-thinking culture within the organisation;
- Developing and managing relationships and consultation with stakeholders impacted by Risk Management programmes and operations to discuss and clarify programme or service related issues and needs.
How to apply:
- We are looking for candidates with a solid academic background in banking, finance, information technology or related field. MBA or other relevant graduate or professional qualification will be preferred;
- You will also possess work experience within a financial regulatory environment combined with relevant industry experience'
- Candidates with experience in directing the development of information systems and other processes to assist in risk management and oversight of financial services supervisory processes, including the use of analytics and data-driven tools will be preferred.
Candidates are to forward a copy of their Curriculum Vitae (C.V.) and an accompanying covering letter providing the motivation for the application.
Other Important Information:
The MFSA is an Equal Opportunities Employer as certified by the NCPE (National Commission for the Protection of Equality) and is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in all aspects of employment and will take care to avoid any form of discrimination in its recruitment procedures. The MFSA reserves the right to withdraw this call at any time and not to select any of the Candidates. It is the responsibility of applicants in possession of qualifications awarded by Universities and other similar institutions outside Malta to produce a recognition statement on the comparability of qualifications issued by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC). Applicants should do so preferably at the application stage or otherwise at the preliminary interview should an applicant be selected for such an interview. Details can be obtained by accessing the National Commission for Further and Higher Education website under MQRIC heading. The MFSA shall ensure that any processing of personal data is in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation), the Data Protection Act (Chapter 586 of the Laws of Malta) and any other relevant European Union and national law. For further details, you may refer to the Data Protection Policy on the MFSA webpage. Candidates are to note that the submission of any false statement/s or omission, even if unintended, may lead to the cancellation of their application and may render the candidate's appointment liable to termination. Furthermore, please note that candidates may be asked to submit any documentation in support of the information provided, including but not limited to, proof of qualifications and Police Conduct Certificates.
Malta Financial Services Authority:
The Malta Financial Services Authority (MFSA) is the single regulator for financial services in Malta. It was established by law on 23 July 2002 taking over supervisory functions previously carried out by the Central Bank of Malta, the Malta Stock Exchange and the Malta Financial Services Centre. The Authority is a fully autonomous public institution and reports to Parliament on an annual basis.