Malta National Aquarium in Malta is looking to recruit an Aquarium Education Officer
to join their team on a full-time basis.
Are you passionate about saving our Oceans and the creatures which call it home? Do you have a desire to share that passion by developing, plan and run learning programmes with our guests and students of all ages? If yes, then this might be an opportunity which you should not miss!
You will be responsible for:
- Maintain and develop school programmes and resources;
- Liaise with teachers and assistant heads to promote the learning programmes and aquarium visits;
- Train employees with related material;
- Develop interesting talk scripts for public talks;
- Organise and co-ordinate kids’ events;
- Develop and send out mailshots to schools, kids zone members and Annual family members;
- Make necessary links with local and international NGOs for support and exposure;
- Source/create promotional material to represent Malta National Aquarium as an educational hub;
- Work with the Aquarists team to promote further learning;
- Update the Presenters team on new species/activities which will be implemented;
- Lead a group, work as a team and build rapport with fellow employees & guests.
Malta National Aquarium:
The Malta National Aquarium has 41 tanks including reptiles, insects and amphibians, amongst others, Mediterranean fish, including fish commonly found in Maltese waters together with replicas of historical artefacts that one can find in the seas around the Maltese islands. The main tank of the aquarium houses species from the Indo-Pacific Ocean, including blacktip sharks, zebra sharks, leopard sharks, bamboo sharks, rays, eels and other exotic species. The main tank is approximately 12 meters in diameter and has a walk-through tunnel that allows visitors to experience the fish at a much closer range. All tanks are expertly themed to replicate the underwater environment. Additional features of the public aquarium include a laboratory, food preparation room and quarantine facilities. The Malta National Aquarium complex is in an iconic curved shell structure in the form of a starfish. The adjacent promenade provides additional recreation facilities for pedestrians including a children’s play area.
- We are looking for a passionate, friendly and motivated person who enjoys working in a team and is comfortable to speak to the general public;
- The selected candidate must have excellent communication and organisational skills, with the ability to multitask through different ongoing projects;
- Candidates must hold a degree in Biology, preferably with a focus on Marine Life;
- Be customer-oriented and with a passion for the aquatic life;
- Selected candidates must be computer literate and with excellent presentation skills;
- Able to clearly communicate in English and/or Maltese.