Environment Resources Authority in Malta is looking to recruit a Senior Officer (International Affairs)
to join their team on a full-time basis.
In the role of Senior Officer International Affairs,
the Officer is responsible to assist their superiors in the management of the functions and deliverables under the area of responsibility in line with the aims and objectives of the Authority and to deliver the following duties related to the International function of the Authority, by assisting the Manager to:
Job Entry Requirements/Qualifications:
- Lead the process of negotiations on International proposed legislation;
- Lead the transposition and monitoring processes of implementation of existing international legislation;
- Lead the ratification of multilateral environment agreements;
- Lead all matters emanating from possible and active infringements;
- Provide input and support on the development of internationally funded projects;
- Take part in bilateral work with EU and international networks; and
- Coordinate the running up of a system for managing communications on international affairs between the Authority’s employees, external national agencies/departments and EU and international institutions and managing the public consultation process on relevant policy and legislation;
- Coordinate internal discussions on proposed international legislation and provide quality input to the Authority’s position on proposed international legislation and policy, including reviewing related documentation, drafting positions, drafting consultation briefs and follow up submissions;
- Coordinate follow up on the Authority’s input to Malta’s position on proposed EU international legislation with other Ministries, the EU Secretariat, the Permanent Representation and other external entities;
- Provide input to the coordination of Regulatory Impact Assessments in conjunction with other units on key dossiers;
- Drafts briefs for meetings with MEPs, the Permanent Representation, the Parliament’s Sub Committee on EU Affairs and other bodies, as requested, with input from officers;
- Act as a focal point on horizontal dossiers which work includes the leading of the related negotiations;
- Develop project ideas and suggestions on participation, whilst continuously assess international funding programmes and improve the internal communication on relevant international funding programmes;
- Provide input to the prioritisation of project ideas taking into account the Authority’s Strategy and legal obligations;
- Coordinate the drafting of project application forms, developing project-related publicity plans and publicity materials, provide input to project budgets, and work schedules;
- Liaise with local and international partners, the Managing and Contracting Authorities;
- Act as a focal point in policy development on related funding programmes and attending meetings, seminars, conferences, committees and workgroups relating to international funding projects and programmes.
- A minimum Bachelor’s Degree [MQF Level 6] with a minimum total of 180 ECTS credits in any one of the following: Environmental Law, European Studies, International Relations, Environmental Management, Geography, Earth Systems, Natural Sciences, Economics or comparable qualification as recognised by NCHFE;
- Alternatively in case of no first Degree, a Master’s Degree [MQF Level 7] with a minimum total of 90 ECTS credits in Environmental Law, European Studies, International Relations, Environmental Management, Geography, Earth Systems, Natural Sciences, Economics or comparable qualification as recognised by NCHFE;
- A minimum of 3 years of postgraduate experience in International Affairs matters;
- Experience in Environmental related matters will be considered as an asset.
Interested candidates should send their CV and covering letter.
Environment & Resources Authority:
The Environment and Resources Authority shall safeguard the environment to achieve a sustainable quality of life. As the national regulator on the environment, we shall also maintain consultation with stakeholders so as to promote and instill sound environmental management.