One of our clients are currently looking to recruit a Legal and Compliance Officer and MLRO who will be accountable for the management of all compliance and AML processes for their operations in Malta. The successful candidate will be working closely with the Group Head of Compliance and the board of directors.
- Act as main point of contact for local regulators (MFSA / FIAU) ensuring that the company is compliant with all applicable requirements
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining effective systems and controls for compliance
- Responsible for advising management on all applicable laws, regulations, rules and standards and inform them of any development in these areas
- Responsible for establishing a compliance manual for staff and service providers
- Responsible for continual assessment of internal policies, procedures and guidelines, to identify and mitigate any deficiencies
- Conducting regular compliance risk assessments and testing, reporting to the Board of Directors
- Being a central point of contact for all information on compliance related issues
- Ensuring all compliance reports are submitted promptly and accurately to regulators
- Educating staff on compliance with regards to the applicable laws, rules and standards.
- Liaising with external bodies and regulators on compliance matters
- Maintain the firms operational risk management assessment and report relevant significant risks to the board
- Responsible for challenging the business perception of risk
- Reporting of any suspicious transactions to the MFSA and FIAU
- Reviewing and approving applications from new and existing customers
- Responsible for oversight of compliance with the FIAU's rules on systems and controls against money laundering.
- Monitoring the day to day operation of AML and CFT policies, responding to any reasonable request made by competent authorities or law enforcement.
- Responsible for establishing the basis on which a risk based approach to AMF and CFT is put into practice and review the approach on a regular basis.
- Responsible for all the AML reporting requirements and operate within the required standards
- Responsible for ensuring that adequate arrangements are in place for the awareness and training of employees.
Education and Experience:
- Qualified Lawyers will be given preference.
- Recognised (PQ'd) by the MFSA
- Previous experience within financial services within an AML function
- Familiarity with MFSA rules and regulations
- Knowledge and experience in FATCA and CRS
- Assertive individual able to prioritise the best interests of the business
- Sound judgement and a pragmatic approach
- Creative problem solver