Job vacancy: Deputy Head (Onsite) within the Banking Supervision Unit
Job code: BS/005/18
About Banking Supervision Unit:
The Banking Supervision (BS) of the MFSA is entrusted with the on-site and ongoing surveillance of licensed banks and non-bank financial institutions following the issue of their licence from the Authorisation Unit. The team employs persons with a banking background, but also legal and IT professionals to support policy and supervisory work.
The selected candidate will be entrusted with responsibilities relating to the following area of the Banking Supervision work which shall include any of the following:
- Responsibility for the on-going supervision of institutions licensed in terms of either the Banking Act and/or the Financial Institution Act;
- Responsibility for the on-site reviews of institutions licensed in terms of either the Banking Act and/or the Financial Institution Act;
- leading the day-to-day running of either the section in charge of the supervision of Financial Institutions or the On-site team;
- maintain up to date knowledge on regulatory requirements for financial and credit institutions and ensure that team members are cognizant of processes and requirements;
- Constantly develop supervisory techniques for ongoing supervision and/or on-site reviews;
- Provide guidance and mentoring to team members, enabling their technical and analytical development;
- Ensure continuous liaison with financial and credit institutions to ensure an adequate supervisory engagement, including leading meetings;
- Handle queries from the industry and other external parties
- Form part of the BSU’s senior management team;
- Deputise for the Head BSU;
- Handle any other duties as assigned by the Head BSU and as dependent on the exigencies of the Authority;
- Represent the MFSA in EBA and ECB working Groups and committees as may be required.
How to apply:
- We are looking for candidates with a solid academic background in Banking, Finance, Payment services, or in a relevant field. Expertise in Information technology would also be considered an asset.
- The role calls for an academic qualification in a relevant field of study at National Qualification Framework Level 6 or better, duly certified by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC) or a widely recognised professional qualification at a comparable level.
- You will also possess a minimum of six (6) years working experience in a related senior role. Candidates with longer working experience relevant to the role will be preferred.
- If you do not have the necessary academic or professional qualifications but you have at least ten (10) years of relevant experience in a related senior role, we would still be interested in speaking with you.
Candidates are to forward a copy of their Curriculum Vitae (C.V.) and an accompanying covering letter providing the motivation for the application.
Other Important Information:
The MFSA is an Equal Opportunities Employer as certified by the NCPE (National Commission for the Protection of Equality) and is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in all aspects of employment and will take care to avoid any form of discrimination in its recruitment procedures. The MFSA reserves the right to withdraw this call at any time and not to select any of the Candidates. It is the responsibility of applicants in possession of qualifications awarded by Universities and other similar institutions outside Malta to produce a recognition statement on the comparability of qualifications issued by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC). Applicants should do so preferably at the application stage or otherwise at the preliminary interview should an applicant be selected for such an interview. Details can be obtained by accessing the National Commission for Further and Higher Education website under MQRIC heading. The MFSA shall ensure that any processing of personal data is in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation), the Data Protection Act (Chapter 586 of the Laws of Malta) and any other relevant European Union and national law. For further details, you may refer to the Data Protection Policy on the MFSA webpage. Candidates are to note that the submission of any false statement/s or omission, even if unintended, may lead to the cancellation of their application and may render the candidate's appointment liable to termination. Furthermore, please note that candidates may be asked to submit any documentation in support of the information provided, including but not limited to, proof of qualifications and Police Conduct Certificates.
Malta Financial Services Authority:
The Malta Financial Services Authority (MFSA) is the single regulator for financial services in Malta. It was established by law on 23 July 2002 taking over supervisory functions previously carried out by the Central Bank of Malta, the Malta Stock Exchange and the Malta Financial Services Centre. The Authority is a fully autonomous public institution and reports to Parliament on an annual basis.