Job vacancy: Analyst (Ongoing, Data Team) within the Banking Supervision Unit
Job code: BS/007/18
About Banking Supervision Unit:
The Banking Supervision (BS) within the MFSA is entrusted with the on-site and ongoing surveillance of licensed banks and non-bank financial institutions following the issue of their licence from the Authorisation Unit. The section carries out supervision of Significant Institutions (SIs) together with the European Central Banks through the Single Supervisory Mechanism (SSM). Less Significant Institutions (LSIs) are supervised directly by Banking. The team employs persons with a banking background, but also legal and IT professionals to support policy and supervisory work.
The successful candidate will be joining the Data Team within MFSA’s Banking Supervision. This team is entrusted with data-related projects, processes and exercises, including those emanating from the Capital Requirements Regulation, more specifically the Implementing Technical Standards on Supervisory Reporting (Regulation 680/2014), with the main objective of achieving high standards of data quality through efficiency.
The responsibilities of the eventual appointee shall include the following:
- Thorough quantitative and qualitative analysis of Supervisory Reporting data as submitted to the MFSA by various credit institutions (both SIs and LSIs), especially in terms of data quality;
- Participation in other data-related exercises and projects, both in-house and those with European Supervisory Authorities (EBA and ECB);
- Daily liaison with credit institutions, the ECB and the EBA in connection with ongoing tasks;
- Active participation in EBA/ECB working groups, as well as other European regulatory bodies as may be required;
- Other ad hoc supervision related duties as may be required by the senior management of the function from time to time.
How to apply or query further information:
- We are looking for candidates with a solid academic background in Statistics or Accountancy or Economics or Banking and Finance or in another financial service-related subject. Knowledge of Excel and experience in Business Intelligence tools will be considered an asset;
- The role calls for an academic qualification in a relevant field of study at National Qualification Framework Level 6 or better, duly certified by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC) or a widely recognised professional qualification at a comparable level;
- You will also possess a minimum of three (3) years of working experience in the area related to the role. Candidates with longer working experience relevant to the role will be preferred;
- If you do not have the necessary academic or professional qualifications but you have at least seven (7) years of relevant experience related to this role within the financial services environment, we would still be interested in speaking with you. Proven aptitude for a quantitative environment is required.
Candidates are to forward a copy of their Curriculum Vitae (C.V.) and an accompanying covering letter providing the motivation for the application.
Other Important Information:
The MFSA is an Equal Opportunities Employer as certified by the NCPE (National Commission for the Protection of Equality) and is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in all aspects of employment and will take care to avoid any form of discrimination in its recruitment procedures. The MFSA reserves the right to withdraw this call at any time and not to select any of the Candidates. It is the responsibility of applicants in possession of qualifications awarded by Universities and other similar institutions outside Malta to produce a recognition statement on the comparability of qualifications issued by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC). Applicants should do so preferably at the application stage or otherwise at the preliminary interview should an applicant be selected for such an interview. Details can be obtained by accessing the National Commission for Further and Higher Education website under MQRIC heading. The MFSA shall ensure that any processing of personal data is in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation), the Data Protection Act (Chapter 586 of the Laws of Malta) and any other relevant European Union and national law. For further details, you may refer to the Data Protection Policy on the MFSA webpage.
Candidates are to note that the submission of any false statement/s or omission, even if unintended, may lead to the cancellation of their application and may render the candidate's appointment liable to termination. Furthermore, please note that candidates may be asked to submit any documentation in support of the information provided, including but not limited to, proof of qualifications and Police Conduct Certificates.
Malta Financial Services Authority:
The Malta Financial Services Authority (MFSA) is the single regulator for financial services in Malta. It was established by law on 23 July 2002 taking over supervisory functions previously carried out by the Central Bank of Malta, the Malta Stock Exchange and the Malta Financial Services Centre. The Authority is a fully autonomous public institution and reports to Parliament on an annual basis.