Job vacancy: Junior Analyst (Accountant) within Securities and Markets Supervision
Job code: SMS/034/2020
*During these challenging times, MFSA is doing all it can to keep employees & the general public safe. We are conducting online interviews & induction sessions for new employees and working remotely as much as possible. For those employees that need to be in the office, we are ensuring that every precaution is being taken.
About Securities and Markets Supervision:
The Securities and Markets Supervision section is responsible for supervising investment services licence holders, collective investment schemes, regulated markets, central securities depositories, financial and non-financial entities falling under the scope of EMIR and recognised private collective investment schemes, registered tied agents and recognised administrators. The function is also responsible for the regulation and oversight of activities in capital markets including the processing of applications for admissibility to listing on Regulated Markets, the processing of notifications in terms of the Securitisation Act, the supervision of the continuing obligations of Listed Companies on Regulated Markets in Malta, the supervision of the markets to identify any market abuse and to carry out any appropriate reviews where applicable.
- Assist in the review of the Annual and Interim financial reports published by listed entities;
- Provide assistance to direct superiors in the performance of examinations of financial information including annual and interim financial statements and the financial analysis summaries issued by Listed Companies in order to ensure compliance with the requirements of the Listing Rules and ESMA Guidelines on the Enforcement of Financial Information (as applicable);
- Review Company Announcements and provide input in relation to financial information disclosed;
- Assist in the drafting of reports, compilation of tables, and other documentation as may required;
- Provide assistance in focused reviews of financial statements of Listed Companies;
- Provide assistance to direct superiors in correspondence with Listed Companies and their auditors on accounting issues, including the application of specific IFRS. The selected candidate may be also involved in on-site compliance visits;
- Assisting in the maintenance of internal compliance logs including the financial information calendar and breaches log;
- Carrying out work related to EU developments;
- Liaising with other regulatory Units within MFSA;
- Undertake such other tasks as may be directed form time to time by line management.
The ideal candidate must be in possession of a Masters in Accountancy degree or an equivalent qualification in the field of the Accountancy profession.
You should also be
How to apply or query further information:
- Interested in the area of capital markets and the ongoing supervision of listed entities;
- Methodological approach and have a challenging mind in the application of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and General Acceptable Accounting Principles;
- Attention to detail;
- Team Player;
- Committed to work and the organisation;
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills.
Candidates are to forward a copy of their Curriculum Vitae (C.V.) and an accompanying covering letter providing the motivation for the application.
Other Important Information:
The MFSA is an Equal Opportunities Employer as certified by the NCPE (National Commission for the Protection of Equality) and is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in all aspects of employment and will take care to avoid any form of discrimination in its recruitment procedures. The MFSA reserves the right to withdraw this call at any time and not to select any of the Candidates. It is the responsibility of applicants in possession of qualifications awarded by Universities and other similar institutions outside Malta to produce a recognition statement on the comparability of qualifications issued by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC). Applicants should do so preferably at the application stage or otherwise at the preliminary interview should an applicant be selected for such an interview. Details can be obtained by accessing the National Commission for Further and Higher Education website under MQRIC heading. The MFSA shall ensure that any processing of personal data is in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation), the Data Protection Act (Chapter 586 of the Laws of Malta) and any other relevant European Union and national law. For further details, you may refer to the Data Protection Policy on the MFSA webpage. Candidates are to note that the submission of any false statement/s or omission, even if unintended, may lead to the cancellation of their application and may render the candidate's appointment liable to termination. Furthermore, please note that candidates may be asked to submit any documentation in support of the information provided, including but not limited to, proof of qualifications and Police Conduct Certificates.
Malta Financial Services Authority:
The Malta Financial Services Authority (MFSA) is the single regulator for financial services in Malta. It was established by law on 23 July 2002 taking over supervisory functions previously carried out by the Central Bank of Malta, the Malta Stock Exchange and the Malta Financial Services Centre. The Authority is a fully autonomous public institution and reports to Parliament on an annual basis.